To know or not know? That is the question.

The eternal question: is it better to know or not know? People ask this of how they are going to die, or what their future, in general, holds for them.

Let's apply this question to some situations in daily life of Vanuatu, and make a quiz of it. Do you want to know? Or is it better to not know at all?

Question: Is there a dead lizard in my tank of drinking water?
Answer: You don't wanna know. It's going to taste the same either way. 

Question: Do I want to know what's inside of my mosquito net before I go to bed tonight?
Answer: You should know. Turn your light on, you dummy, and look around to make sure there aren't any scary spiders or millepods chilling out under there. Do you want to be in a sealed, netted cage with your worst nightmare or do you want to sleep tonight? How is this even a question?

Question: What was that loud thud and struggled breathing I just heard on my front stoop?
Answer: You should know. If it's an intruder, you should shout for your neighbors to hear. Or you can aggressively wave your flashlight through the window, ask "HU IA?!" and then realize it was just an out-of-shape Juju jumping over the gate (and getting stuck halfway) to sleep at your doorstep. 

Question: Is this black speck in my kato a bug that found its way into the flour?
Answer: You don't wanna know. It's going to taste the same either way. And, if it is a bug, you just got some extra protein for free. 

Question: Where are those plastic cracker trays that I've been saving to make seedling gardens? I swear I just put them here on the table a day ago...
Answer: You should know. It was the domesticated rat that stole them, and he took them all under the futon to hoard for crumb consumption. That rat deserves nothing. Seek out those trays and get them back, along with your dignity. 

Question: What was that weird lump I just felt behind Sniper's ear?
Answer: You don't wanna know. Is it some sort of parasite that has latched onto his fur? Is it some disease? Just go wash your hands and forget about it.

Comments

Popular Posts