The Sounds of Epau

While she doesn't enjoy meditation, my best friend back home likes a similar method of relaxation and concentration in the form of closing her eyes and mentally isolating all the sounds around her.

I was taking an afternoon nap in our first training village of Epau the other day and I closed my eyes and focused on the various sounds around me. Perhaps it will help paint a scene of my first Vanuatu home.

  • A gentle breeze blowing through the leaves of the banana trees
  • The distant sound of waves crashing against a rough coral shore
  • Children's voices and soft thuds of bare feet kicking a soccer ball
  • The occasional screech of a lizard on the inside of my roof
  • The light trill of chirping birds
  • A chicken howling as it’s shooed away from the kitchen, accompanied by the screech of a cat
  • Soft chirps of a flock of baby chicks
  • A rooster giving its signature call

I'm going to miss this place.

Comments

Popular Posts