Quick Update: What's Going On, Mid-September

I've found that in Peace Corps, my progress and productivity is heavily based on my personal motivation. I don't have any sort of reason, but lately I've been feeling very motivated, which is great, but also a bit stressful as I feel like I have so many ideas and not enough time!

Usually, volunteers have this motivation at the start of service, and it trickles off when they realize how challenging it can be to get a million things done. I didn't have this motivation at the beginning -not to say I was unmotivated - but I just now finally have the feel of what is possible and what is not, and I have a better idea of what I can do successfully.



Term three, the final term of the year, began about three weeks ago, and I've been busy since the beginning. Even though December is a while away, I feel that I am madly rushing to get in as much as possible before the Christmas holiday month, when school is out, and when the village meetings and committees take their annual break.

Thus, I wanted to compile a list of what I've been up to lately.
  • I'm continuing teaching phonics with the class 4 and 5 students every morning for 30 minutes each. Since they're learning how R-controlled sounds (ie, "cr" "gr" "scr" etc) fit into English words, I found the perfect song for them. Kids here love learning songs, especially when actions are associated with them. This week I taught them "The Green Grass Grows All Around" and they LOVE it. So much. They want to sing it at least three times per day. It's wonderful. 
  • Last week and this week I've been clearing out the library, storage room, and admin room because we get SO many donations and books and supplies that we never use. Look forward to a future post on this. There's a lot of boxes. 
  • My computer lab counterpart and I have opened up the computer lab during lunch for students in class 7 and 8 to use a typing program. Most of them show quick progress, using the proper hand positions and even *gasp* NOT LOOKING AT THE KEYBOARD WHILE TYPING! I am so proud.
  • My counterpart and I have also been updating the school's Facebook page with pictures and weekly updates on all kinds of activities at the school.
  • A new teacher started at our school, Miss Esther, and she's killing it. She teaches math, science and agriculture to the year 7 and year 8 classes, and she is adamant about them getting hands-on experience. Thus, she's been hosting science experiments and getting the kids out of the classroom. I've helped a tiny bit, but not much, with her experiments, as my abundance of miscellaneous supplies (nails! sandpaper! plastic tubs!) in my house nearby has been a Godsend. 
  • I talked to Miss Esther about hosting a reproductive health session with the year 8 and year 7 students, and she was all about it. I am still planning that, but it'll go on the back burner til at least one of my nutrition workshops is completed.
  • The school built a new canteen that just opened last week, and they have a massive freezer, oven, stove, giant 200w solar panel, and loads of storage. Teachers told me that I could store things in the freezer. I am storing cheese. PIZZA ON DEMAND!!!
  • We're planning a Halloween movie night for the end of October, as we did with the Fourth of July. I'm super excited, obviously. 
  • I've been filming various people in the village for a language video (remember, there are over 116 languages in Vanuatu) that I'm going to edit. 
  • I'm editing a video about different kinds of local nuts and fruit.
  • The community's nutrition committee and I are organizing a handful of nutrition workshops that I'll be running with them to talk about nutrition labels, good/bad fats, sodium content, and what vitamins do for your body.
  • I've been bonding with one of the young mamas, Loren, recently. Her family owns a bungalow, and with her interest in cooking, crafts, and movies, we're a perfect pair. I wouldn't say we're as close as some volunteers are with their friends in the village, but she's fun to talk to, and it's always nice to watch a movie/tv show with someone who knows lots of English because they can laugh with you at the funny parts instead of just watching 2 hours of moving images in silence. Her two daughters join us for movies, and they are just ADORABLE and I love them, even when toddler Ruthie pees on my leg while she is sitting on me.
  • I've done yoga a couple times a week. My "new" house (that I moved into earlier this year) is wayyy smaller and I rarely have motivation (or space) to exercise. However, when I clear away my stuff, I can successfully do some yoga moves without smacking shelves and water bottles and bags and dirty clothes. PCV Eve suggested the app Down Dog which has customizable yoga sessions that you can download.
  • My cats are doing well. One-eyed Kalmataku is sick like, all the time, with various ailments. Lately he seems to have lost his balance. Last week he was severely underweight but recovered. I am always wondering if this week will be his last. He always seems to push through, though. Leikai wanders about the village beside my house, and all the neighbors love her because she is adorably spritely and a bundle of fun she keeps the rats away. When she does decide to grace me with her presence, she scurries all around, acting like a spy, sneaking around bushes and rocks to pounce upon her invisible prey. 
  • I was hoping to not head into Vila until early October when it's World Teachers' Day, and the whole school staff goes into town. However, PC is calling me in this Friday. I was really hoping to save lots of money during this village-exclusive time, but when you're in town and pizza is $10 away...you get the pizza. My wallet is already scared. 
  • G30 has their Reconnect training in October, and I am hoping to help with some trainings, but it's too early to say on what.
  • I'm planning my Halloween costume. It's September! If you're gonna take Halloween seriously, you start no later than September, obviously. 
  • I'm planning a vacation for December. It's too early to say anything yet, but MAN, do I love planning a trip. That wasn't sarcasm. I am very very thrilled. 
  • I am *still* editing those videos from my Transsiberian vacation from almost two years ago. Sorry, Calvin. Having solar charging heavily affects my computer usage. 
That's everything that comes to mind at the moment. My mind is a scramble lately, and I'm so thankful for the planner my aunt sent me last year...it's been instrumental in keeping my sanity. 


Comments

Popular Posts