The New Normal, Part 3

After four months at our respective sites, G29 has become accustomed to the no-frills lifestyle. Of course, I came into this experience expecting such. However, if you were to have told me that I (or my fellow volunteers) would experience any of the following while living here, I would have cringed or laughed.

But being here, seeing/hearing/feeling these things every day, it's no big deal. It's the  new normal.

75*F weather is winter weather and thus is far too cold to sleep outside, requires pants under your skirt and a jacket and quite possibly a thermal hat, and makes you want to drink hot tea every second of the day. Oh, and experiencing 75*F weather means it's cold and flu season.

"Just went to pee and there was a pig in the bathroom...and I remember the days when I thought lizards in the bathroom were weird." - Colleen

"Some children just gave me the skinned, de-gutted body of some bird as a present so that I can cook it for dinner. They handed it to me, no bag, no string." - Santi

"I was just thinking...are you ready to see all of G29 in man buns at Reconnect?" - Me, to Colleen

The workout routine:
Glutes: climbing uphill
Thighs: squatting over a pit toilet
Arms: carrying firewood and 10 dried coconuts back from the garden

Finding a dead cat on the beach leads to CSI: Island Edition: Its head is stuck in a tin can, and its body isn't bloated. I'd gather that the cause of death was that he suffocated with his head in the can and the owner then threw the dead cat into the ocean. It's quite a shame, really. Someone might even call it a cat-astrophe.  *puts on sunglasses*

"Last night there was a rat in my room but I was too scared to look so I just kept saying 'KUSHAY' in the dark until I fell back asleep." - Annalisa

"Any suggestions on homemade hair detangling sprays/things to use? My corn rows halfway came out and got incredibly tangled up while spearfishing" -- Colleen

A little girl whom you’ve never met before walks into your yard, and into your home, uninvited. You offer her some crackers, which she excitedly accepts. Parents find out about it later, and are totally fine with the fact their daughter just hung out with a stranger for the last half hour. 

A student gets what is essentially a shiv confiscated from him during class, but teachers inform me that it is a simple hair-cutting tool. 




Comments

Popular Posts