FAQs: You're joining the Peace Corps!? What?!

Yes, I have joined the Peace Corps. Yes, I will be living there for a while! I know you have lots of questions, as do many people with whom I share this information. Here's a list of questions I often get, and the answers to them.

Be sure to comment below if you wanted to ask something that isn't answered here.

The Basics

What is the Peace Corps? 
It's a US government-based organization that goes to countries in need of their services in various sectors including education, agriculture, health and more. JFK created it when he signed an executive order back in 1961.
The reason it exists is "to promote world peace and friendship by fulfilling three goals:
  1. To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women. 
  2. To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served. 
  3. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans."

That's just the gist of it. You can find all the info you want here.

Is it like missionaries?
No, because typically missionaries are viewed as organizations that go to a place to spread their religion. While Peace Corps most definitely does not spread religion, it is also different in the way that they work directly with local schools, groups, and organizations. PC doesn't infiltrate and change; they work alongside groups to find ways to achieve the locals' goals. PC only goes into a city/village/location if the city/village/location wishes to be helped.

Why did you decide to join the Peace Corps?
I've wanted to do something bigger than myself for a while. I've always enjoyed volunteering and I love to help people. I like working with children, so I applied to the education sector. I want to help people and be a part of something greater.

How long will you be gone for?
27 months, starting in April 2017. The first three months are training on-site (in Vanuatu), and then the remaining 2 years are my service.

Where are you going?
Vanuatu. It's a series of islands near Australia. More specifically, I will be working in a school on the island of Nguna. (updated 4/18/17)

What will you be doing?
I will be working in the education sector, and my specific task is to promote literacy. The literacy rate in Vanuatu for people over the age of 15 is about 50%. My assignment is to "help improve the quality of literacy in Vanuatu’s rural communities through increased access to education and training opportunities as well as library and ICT resources."
(Update 8/13/2017: Here's a more in-depth explanation of what I'm doing. )

Do you get paid?
The short answer: yes, and not a lot. The long answer: you get a stipend per month that allows you to live by the same means as the community in which you live. You are provided food, health insurance, shelter, and all the basics you will need, and you get a little money left over so you can go into town and buy canned tuna or stamps or random "frivolous" items that wouldn't otherwise be provided to you. But it is mainly a volunteer position, so it's treated as such. If I complete the two years of volunteering successfully, I am provided an additional stipend to help me integrate back into US culture/work life.


The community and culture

Will you be alone?
There are about 20 volunteers for PC that will be in the education program in Vanuatu. However, that is for ALL of Vanuatu. On my island, I'm one of three volunteers. The nearest volunteer to me is about a 45 minute hike away. (Updated 8/13/2017)

What language do they speak there?
The most widely-spoken language is Bislama. It's a pidgin English/French language that developed from visiting French- and English-speaking missionaries over the years.  I don't know what language they will be speaking in this specific school, but we will be fully trained in Bislama. There are also loads of local tribal languages that are spoken throughout Vanuatu.

What do you wear?
We have to dress "island business casual" for work, which for women is longer skirts below the knees and tank tops/t-shirts. It's hot, so comfort is key.
There are traditional "Mother hubbard" dresses that are typically gifted to us by our host families, that we can wear if we choose. They can be roomy, but also quite hot.
Outside of the capital (I will be outside the capital) women don't wear pants/shorts unless they are playing sports or swimming, and in that case they are wearing long gym shorts. Exposing the thighs is taboo.

As a woman, what are the challenges you will encounter?
As I won't be in a western community, the living situation will be different. It is a male-dominated culture, so the male/female roles will be more traditional. It will be very different from what I am used to, and it's important that I respect their culture. It will be a challenge, but the entire experience will be full of challenges. (Updated 8/13/2017)


The living situation

Where will you be living?
For safety/security, PC guarantees that all volunteers will have their own private room with a locking door.
I will be living with a host family, but based on some of the Youtube videos I've seen portraying living quarters, I most likely will have my own house/structure. But I honestly don't know. This is just my best guess. I won't know for sure until after training, three months from now.

What do they eat/drink there?
They tend to grow their own gardens and fish. It's a tropical climate, so there will be papayas, mangoes, pineapples and such for fruit options. Taro and yams will be the veggies. Coconut milk is used. Basically, think tropical.
Also, kava is a drug/drink that is popular there and is typically enjoyed ceremonially. It has euphoric and anesthetic properties and is non-alcoholic. I've actually tried it here in the USA in NYC, and it's available in Chicago in a specificcaly-themed bar. It is made from a plant, and it's brown/muddy in color. It tastes earthy. When I tried it, it made my tongue tingle.
In Vanuatu, kava is typically enjoyed by men only, as it is believed to be a product coming from woman, thus making it inappropriate for women to consume.
(Update 8/13/2017: Check out my posts on food here.)

Are there bugs?
Yes, lots. Despite the precautions that PC takes to ensure your safety (mosquito nets, Malaria pills/vaccinations, bug spray) I will get bitten, and it will probably be a lot. C'est la vie!

Will you have running water?
No, I will not.

Will you have electricity?
No. We will have solar or generator power, but it will be unreliable. Also, it's super humid and based on previous Vanuatu PC volunteers' comments, I am curious to know if everything I bring that is made of metal will just rust/die/get eaten by fungus.


Health while abroad

Do you need immunizations?
I am up-to-date on everything and I will be provided Malaria pills. The Peace Corps has a very thorough health insurance program for volunteers, and everyone I've spoken to (previous volunteers) have told me that it is the best insurance I will have in my lifetime.

What happens if you get sick?
Again, best insurance in the world.
Before my service, I had to be up-to-date on my immunizations and if anything comes up during service, PC will cover it.

Can you come back home or travel?
We accrue vacation time, more than I have at any previous job in my lifetime, and yes, we can use them to go home/travel. Many volunteers go to nearby Fiji, Australia, New Zealand or Asia. Some go home, and I've heard from previous PC volunteers that they'd recommend not traveling/going home in the first year. It's important to establish yourself in the community and get rooted, and travel disturbs that.
I don't have plans to travel yet (I haven't even left!) but I am sure I will travel when I have the time!


Communication

Will you have a phone?
Phone service, as my location information says, is "reliable."
PC issues more remote volunteers a satellite phone. We also get a dual SIM phone. I am used to a flip phone at home, so while other volunteers have a million questions about this topic, I am just thinking "does it make calls? will it have an alarm clock for me?"

Will you have internet?
Yes, but it will be spotty. I really won't know the conditions until I am there, but I would assume I will be able to have internet periodically and be able to update my blog/check email/go on Facebook. But I won't know until I get there for sure.

Can I write to you/send you things?
Yes, I'd love that! (Updated 8/13/2017) Also "communication and shipping services are unreliable." PC estimates that things sent from the US, on average, take 6 weeks to arrive in Vanuatu. And since it's unreliable, it could be something like "here's everything that came in for you from August to October!" So please send me all of the mail. I love sending it, and I love getting it.

What's the best way to contact you?
Not really sure at this point. Carrier pigeon?


Miscellaneous
What are you packing?
I haven't packed yet. Being a minimal packer, I am curious to see how little I can bring for a 2-year stint abroad. Among some of the recommended/odd things to bring are spices, nail polish, a hammock, a solar charger, and lots and lots of silica packets to ensure that your electronics don't die of humidity.

Are you excited?
Of course I am. But I won't know what I know until I get there.

Are you scared/nervous?
Of course I am. But I won't know what I know until I get there.

Comments

Popular Posts